Access to Residential Areas

view of freshman dormitory towers and Lake Osceola view of freshman dormitory towers and Lake Osceola

The Department of Housing & Residential Life (HRL) has policies in place which address the accessibility of residence areas for students. ODS works with the Department of Housing & Residential Life to provide information on resources or equipment to provide access for a student with a disability. Special housing requests must be submitted to the Office of Disability Services two weeks prior to the housing deadline for the semester in which you are requesting the accommodation. Please visit the HRL website for specific housing deadlines.

Special Housing Accommodation Requests

A student may request a Special Housing Accommodation based on disability or a medical condition. In order to request a Special Housing Accommodation, the following guidelines must be followed:

  • Register for housing through the Department of Housing & Residential Life. Indicate any special needs on the housing application and complete the University of Miami Adapted Housing Checklist.
  • Complete and submit the Accommodation Request Form. Please clearly identify the accommodation is being requested in residence.
    • All students must request housing accommodations before assignments are made. Once housing has assigned students, ODS may not be able to make changes.
    • Please contact the Office of HRL for the exact date pertaining to incoming students or returning students.
  • Submit current and complete documentation as outlined under Documentation Guidelines. Once complete documentation has been received, the Office of Disability Services will forward the request to the Housing Accommodations Committee.
The Special Housing Accommodations Committee will review each request. Written notification is sent to the student and Office of Housing & Residential Life. Incomplete requests will not be reviewed. Students requesting a Special Housing Accommodation are responsible for meeting all housing deadlines set forth by the Department of Housing & Residential Life. Submitting documentation to our office does not guarantee that a specific request will be granted. Students should proceed with regular housing sign up until notified that a special accommodation has been granted. All housing accommodations are individually determined and based on availability. All applicable fees are not refundable if accommodations are not submitted prior to the deadline for submitting documentation.